Friday, July 13, 2012

A list of shorts


So I am over my illness and have a few minutes to post something new! Here's my list of shorts. These are all short statements that don't really need a full blog or anything.
This is one of the many plazas here. The shoeshine stands are
all lined up and usually seem pretty active. Also, the cleaning
ladies all have what look like handmade brooms with sticks
tied to the bottom of a pole.

>There are people dressed in orange pushing carts around town cleaning up the ground. They seem to be primarily older ladies.

>There are a ton of shoeshine stands. All lined up.

>Comida (lunch) is the biggest meal of the day. It's a lot of food. We always eat with our señora at three. We normally aren't given any food between breakfast and comida. In fact, Paty got mad at me one day because I ate too close to comida time and so I wasn't hungry.

>We've learned that we must always request our check from our server. They won't bring it unless we do. We did a lot of waiting around before we realized this custom.

This was in Mexico City but
we see the same thing here
in Querétaro.
>There are cops everywhere and they always seem ready for a riot. Also, they've always got the light on. I wonder how people know when they're being pulled over.

>There are clowns in the plazas! I guess that's probably a big city thing. I mean, we wouldn't see that in Eugene.

>Our family members have never heard of A Christmas Carol. I don't know if that's a Mexico thing or just our family. But it was surprising.

>There are more fans of fútbol americano than previously expected. Even our señora likes it more than soccer. But most people are fans of southern teams like Dallas, San Francisco, and Oakland, which makes sense.

>Most bathrooms cost money to get in (like 4 pesos) and they hand out toilet paper at the door. Also, we don't flush our tp here. There's always a little trash bin next to the toilet. This can often lead to bathrooms smelling less than pleasant.

This couple was actually taking a picture of themselves
making out. Ahhh youth.
>Young couples make out everywhere. Mostly they park themselves in the plazas where there are benches and pretty fountains. But really... they don't care who's around.

>When it rains here it freakin' pours. Like, for serious.

>Our señora says not to give money to beggars because they are immigrants from South America going through Mexico to the States. She says that they aren't wanted here and if they don't get any money then they would be forced to go to the church for help. The church will feed them and clothe them but also will send them back home. I suppose we all have our own immigration issues.

>Speaking of which, I talked to my new Mexican friend about how we have a lot of immigrants back home who refuse to learn or speak English. She was flabbergasted and talked about how incredibly important it is to learn the language of the place you're living. That made me feel good.

>There's a really weird Nazi presence here. I don't quite understand it yet, but I see paraphernalia everywhere.

>Busses are terrifying. I'm going to write a separate blog on that.

Side note - I had some sort of infection. The doctor wasn't specific about it. It could have been a sinus infection. Anyway, I was pretty darned sick. Had a high fever, sore throat, and just felt all around gross. I had to take an exam at the hight of my illness. Surprisingly, I got a B on it! So anyway, I went to the médico. Most of the pharmacies here have a little doctor's office on the side or in the back. The one I went to was just a little room on the side of the building. It's pretty weird, but it got the job done. The doc simply took my name, age, temp, asked if I had any allergies or chronic diseases, and then prescribed me 4 different medications, one of them being a shot that I had to have in mis pompis two days in a row. I'm over it. I just have some congestion and an ugly cough left over (very common for me considering my asthma). The worst part, I think, was being so sick during our trip to Mexico City. Hopefully I'm done for the rest of the summer!

So there's all that. Keep track of our Twitter accounts for periodic updates or pictures. Brandon's is @the_ferg_says and mine is @JessicaPestika. A new update will be coming as soon as we have time. So until then, my friends!